Sunday, February 27, 2011

Albright Knox Art Gallery Visit

I enjoyed spending my vacation day at the Gallery. I went myself and glad for that enabling me to observe, take notes and see just what I wanted to see. Not enough time to stop at every art piece. I tagged the photos in photobucket with impression, connection, and know more about. I also put the artist’s name, media, year and scale in the description, but none of it shows in the blog view of these works. I had to enter it here.
The three that made an impression on me were:
1.Colors Cool by Mariko Mori, 2002 Photopainting I thru VI edition 3/3 Prints and Lucite with Dye destruction. This attracted me because of the irridescent color, round frames, as well as the three dimension art that diplayed different jelly fish/sperm like shapes and sizes. It was unusual in art form, which seem to be the works I was most drawn to. I would also like to know more about this work.
2. Jess by Unentitled Graces 1978 Paper Collage. It was 100 years of artwork consisting of puzzles, pictures of food, animals, science, landscaping, new and old, and mostly square and round shapes within. The hands in there seem to represent the hands of time.
3. Tow - Path at Argenteuil ca 1875 by Claudia Monet Oil on Canvas. All of Monet’s works are of my favorite colors, the outside, beach, flowers, and nature that seems to appeal to me, just like Thomas Kincade’s work.

The three that I was connected to was:
1. 10 Formal Fingers by Jim Dine 1961 Wood Relief with Oil. Nails and skin are part of the Cosmetology curriculum that I teacher is why I was connected to this piece.
2. Hum by Robert Long 1988 Plastic, formica, wood audio jacks, chrome-plated steel aluminum, plastic bonding and lacquer. Electricity is my husband’s career and this work really intrigued me. It also looked very much like some of my contraptions with all the cords to my theatre/stereo hookups.
3. The Marvelous Sauce by Jehan Geroges Vibert ca1890 Oil on Wood attracted me on the wall and at the post card rack. I am connected because my neighbor is an Italian cook and making sauce all the time. This painting has some humor in it and was fun to look at, just made me hungry after viewing it.

The three works that I want to know more about were:
1. Janet by Chuck Close 1992 Oil on Canvas. This was one of many art works displayed as part of the optical reflection. It all seemed interesting, this one was pictures in a picture much like the puzzle I have been working on. The DNA fingerprints in this display was something I wanted to learn more about.
2. Morning War 2008 by Matthew Ritchie 2008 Oil Marker on Linen, video, paper, sculpture on wall and floor. I was intrigued by this piece as soon as I seen it and wanted to know more about not only the work involved but also the meaning. I could not get a picture of this,so I took a picture from the video that is on the Albright Knox website to place in my blog. After viewing that video I did learn more about the art work.
3. Pinwheel by John Ahearn 1998 Plaster. I wanted to know whose arms they were that were linked by the thumbs, and why. It seemed to me it represented unity amongst a group, whether it be race, nations or a support group of some sort.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on your art project!! I enjoyed looking at your work. I like the variety of the pieces that you incorporated in your project. I almost used the ten formal finger work in my project as well. I was going to put it in the works i wanted to learn more about. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work...very thourough. I enjoyed reading your take on each piece. I used "Pinwheel" for a piece that I felt connected with, and had a vary similar interpretation and impression of the concept. Great gob!

    ReplyDelete