Friday, March 4, 2011

Installation Art, Glass and Sculpting Video Reviews

Through the Eyes of the Sculptor was informative about the process of turning limestone into statues. It was very detailed about Emanuel Fillion and his work, as well as the steps from obtaining the stone from the earth and transporting it to the finish sculpture placement. It not only is the art of sculpting, but sketching first. I was intrigued by the work that goes into the making the small size one first, then the cast to pour the actual material in. I also found in interesting how they add the stack of blocks under the horses leg not just for the installation of art, but for total support. The text went into some of the detail and showed the process in a smaller scale.
Installation Artvideo showed various examples of this type of art. Richard Wilson’s She came in through the Bathroom Window was my favorite. It explained how the window is used to look at an area in a different way. It’s placement was the whole meaning to the effect. I seen how the whole building is the actual artwork and learned that is what installation art is, helping to verify what the text also explained. This is definitely a creative way of doing things. It seems to me to go from one extreme to the other as far as what can constitute “installation” art.
GlassWorks video was my favorite. Someday I may try this art. The video made it look so easy and I know it is not. The text explained it somewhat and the movie showed much more about the whole process in detail. Growing up in Our Lady of Victory Basilica, I have always appreciated stained glass windows. Some of the websites students chose to show art with glass were amazing. Corning Museum experience also taught me how hard it is to stretch the hot glass to sculpture a flower. I never realized how much glass is used in our lives and why until viewing this clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment