Sunday, March 6, 2011

Installation Art Project

Laura McCarthy "Irish Heritage” continued

Installation Art is a creation using space (all around you) and perception in 3D with ability to enter, explore, experience or reflect upon. It is site specific. Can be many materials. I had to laugh when in the video when they mentioned macaroni, it reminded me of a 5th grade teacher that all her students for years did a macaroni cigar box. I did not know then that was “installation” art. Glass is among the most popular material. I did not know why until viewing the video. It can be mixed media, using collages, no limits on theories, and political and social activity playing a role in creation.
The book explained it and used examples, but the actual assembly and reasons were very interesting. My favorite as mentioned in the video I previous blogged was The Richard Wilson’s piece She Came In Through the Bathroom Window You looked into an oil tanker (outside to in).
Some installation art can take months and is only temporary sometimes. To me a good example is the home show, building a small home just for the 10 day display. It is worth it to do for the value it expresses and getting the public’s attention and or business.
I named it after my husband’s heritage and way of life that I also have adapted over the years with him and other friends. The welcome sign at the top have angels with a green background to welcome guests to our home. The Claddaugh is a symbol of friendship, loyalty and faith. The flag depicts the colors and shamrock. The angel and Bellick Nativity Set on table exemplify the religious beliefs of the Irish. The Dancer ornament in the wreath stands for the 3 years my daughter took Irish dancing. The framed MCCarthy picture explains the Gaelic meaning for the name. The framed photograph of shamrocks was a wedding present,done by a local artist in Ellicottville. The leprechaun and good luck pair are my husbands and my symbols of luck from our past and finally the framed pictures are of photos of his nieces and nephews. All these art works are symbolic of our family and friends that are always welcomed here and feel free to express their heritage.
The color used is obviously green and plenty of it. The shamrock lights represent rhythm, texture shown on stuffed animals and leprechauns. The space and site specific is the fireplace wall and out from it on the sides, in the living room where we spend most of our time. The shapes are heart (shamrock),oval and squares with an overall shape of rectangle on three sides. Emphasis is the Irish with the harmony of various mainly green and white pieces in variety of shapes and sizes. The statues and dancer ornament are small in proportion to the large flag, all in unity with the Irish symbolism.
I enjoyed doing this project, just getting it all in one post was an issue and the video did not copy correctly the first time. I already had some of these articles out all the time, just arranged differently, then the others were brought out for the St. Patrick’s holiday which gave me the idea when I watched the video on installation art and saw the wall with the various pieces arranged in the box and on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment