Friday, March 11, 2011

Week Seven Architecture Videos

The Prairie Style video was very interesting to me because I now know the style Frank Lloyd Wright’s works are called. I always liked his style, especially the windows. I did not realize all his homes were all the horizontal lines including the furniture. I will definitely go to see more of them this summer.
The Classical Architecture showed the 3 orders of columns in the Greek style. I even picked out some at church on Wednesday, they were Iconic. It showed how much we use the Greek and Roman style architecture. The vaults, columns, arches are among the commonly used styles. This video also showed how we use modern mixed with classical architecture incorporating skylights and solar heating. I was surprised to see how Prince Charles crusaded to return to a more classical style.
The 3rd video revealed many interesting facts about the wind tunnel tests a building has to go through to pass. I also did not know how far a tall building actually sways. It also showed details of a smart apartment, many of which I have already seen at the Horizon home shows in the area, particularly the timer to turn up the lights in the am and start the coffee, as well as draw open the curtains in the morning. I liked how the vacuum stops when the phone rings.
The text touches bases on all these facts, but the details are more real and seen in action. I enjoy viewing the videos, just can be very time consuming. It commented on how much we use concrete and cement in our construction of buildings along with the process to make it.
I picked the video, Last Call for Planet Earth, to view because I was interested in the green architecture that is becoming popular today. It was very difficult to understand the first half because it had to be read (different language) and it moved to fast. The wording was hard to read because of the background. The Chinese man was better, with the view that ecology and economics play a role in the architecture. The fact that we all have to be concerned with the future by conserving today is hopefully becoming a reality with the new structures and its locations, using the land, air and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment